Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds is an RTS game by LucasArts built on the Genie Engine. Critics believed that the game somehow showed the limitations of the engine which was maybe not to fit for space games: Laser shots often were hitting the target, even when the craft wasn't pointing at them, and also the proportions (like in the cases of AT-ATs) were unrealistic. Perhaps balancing that was the many units and civilizations players could choose from, much more than Force Commander or Empire at War.
The original game has six campaigns, two centered around the Wookiee race, and one each centered around Gungans, The Trade Federation, The Galactic Empire, and the Rebel Alliance. Some of the missions represent actual battles form the movies, like the Battle of Hoth.
- The first campaign (the tutorial) centers around Attichitcuk, the father of Chewbacca, and his quest to rid Alaris Prime of the Trade Federation. You are guided through the tutorial by Qui-Gon Jinn.
- The second campaign from Episode 1 is that of the Trade Federation. It follows OOM-9, the de facto droid leader of the Trade Federation's army.
- The third campaign is that of the Gungans, centered first around Boss Gallo, then Boss Nass, the current leader of the Gungans at the time of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.
- The fourth campaign is the campaign of the Empire. Darth Vader is your main character in this campaign, and the events take place just before and during Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
- The fifth campaign is the campaign of the Rebellion. Your main character this time around varies from level to level, primarily between Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker. The events of this campaign are outside the scope of the movies.
- The sixth and final campaign is the final Wookiee campaign. This campaign takes place after Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, during which time the Imperial remnants are trying to keep the Empire together, and have attacked Kashyyyk. The main characters of this campaign are Han Solo and Chewbacca. Attichitcuk makes appearances, as do Lando Calrissian and Luke Skywalker.
- The Royal Naboo also appear in the Gungan and the Federation campaigns but have no campaign on their own. However they are playable in the multiplayer game.
Expansion set: Clone Campaigns
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns is an expansion pack that was released shortly after the theatrical release of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. It introduced two more civilizations that are playable and two more campaigns: That of the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Old Republic.
- In the Separatist campaign, your hero is Sev'rance Tann, and Count Dooku himself guides you. Your goal is to capture the energy-mining platforms of the Galactic Republic so that you can effectively hold Coruscant hostage.
- In the Galactic Republic campaign, Mace Windu tells you what to do as you control Echuu Shen-Jon, a Jedi you meet "later" in the Rebel campaign. Your goal is to get back the energy platforms.
The Clone Campaigns added more units, such as the Decimator and the Air Cruiser, power droid|support for movable power supplies, and more.
Some levels also featured some 'easter eggs': In some marginal and hard to reach places (like mountain peaks, or areas behind trees that have to be harvested in order to reveal), some well known characters can be found if the player decides to explore the corners of the map with air units. On Naboo, there are places where you find Qui-Gon and Jar Jar Binks which you can lead to a bongo. Also on Naboo, you can find Yoda and Luke, next to Yoda's hut. On Tatooine, C-3PO and R2-D2 can be found next to an escape pod. Palpatine and Anakin are near a Sith Temple in one mission based on Krant, Anakin, Senator Amidala, C-3PO and R2-D2 on another Krant mission, and Jar Jar Binks among the skyscrapers of Coruscant.
To use a cheat press enter to bring up the chat box and type your code in.
- skywalker - Win level
- tarkin - Destroy all opponents
- forcesight - Remove fog of war
- forceexplore - Entire map explored
- forceore - 1000 ore
- forcenova - 1000 nova
- forcefood - 1000 food
- forcecarbon - 1000 carbon
- forcebuild - Build speed increased, research/harvest time reduced to 0
- simonsays - Creates unit "Simon the Killer Ewok" in the center of the display
- scaryneighbor - Creates a very fast, very deadly boat in the center of the display (over water)
Clone Wars specific
- tantive iv - Creates the Tantive IV, Leia's blockade runner
- imperial entanglements - Creates an Imperial Star Destroyer
- that's no moon - Creates a Death Star in the center of the display
- galactic upheaval - Creates a Decimator
- suddenly silenced - Buildings and units do more damage
- the force is strong with this one - Jedi turning range increases
- the most powerful jedi - Jedi move faster and do more damage
- intensify forward fire power - Better Turrets, Fortresses, and Command Centers
- the fighters are coming in too fast - Aircraft move faster